How to start an uncontested divorce?

You and your spouse agree that the marriage is over. You generally agree on who gets what or will work it out by the time the divorce decree is presented to the judge. How do you start an uncontested divorce?

An uncontested divorce is initiated by filing the Original Petition for Divorce.  The spouse filing the petition will then be referred to as the Petitioner.  After the required cooling-off period (60 days from the date the Petition is filed), you will be able to finalize the divorce by presenting the agreed upon Divorce Decree, as evidenced by having the signatures of both spouses, to the court where the Petition was filed.  You can use this link to read more about the full divorce process in Texas.

If you and your spouse can agree to the terms of the divorce, your divorce is considered "uncontested" and you may be able to use uncontested divorce forms.